It just might be true that the family that plays together, stays together. Life gets busy, so it’s important to remember to make time for each other. You may think you need to get away in order to do that.
But when money and time are both limited, vacation choices can be limited too. Re-adjust and re-think your travel plans, and get a little creative with a “staycation.”
A staycation is a great way to “escape” on a budget while kicking back at home or seeing the sights around town. No need to pack. You’ll save money on eating out, gas for the car, plane or train tickets, and hotel rooms. You can relax or stay active – all at your own pace!
Clean your house before your staycation, so you can check that off your to-do list and really unwind. There are lots of things families can do at home to slow things down, reconnect and have some fun:
- Weather permitting, try backyard camping! Share family stories around the picnic table or fire pit.
- Set up a net for badminton or volleyball.
- Create a backyard course for a seasonally-themed Family Olympics.
- Break out the board games for Family Game Night.
- Family Movie Night at home can include healthy snacks, like popcorn (hold the butter!) and fresh veggies.
- Seek out freebies locally (from nature trails to museum “free” nights).
By Lisa Miceli Feliciano