Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Yields: 8 servings
Serving Size: ¾ cup
1 tsp. vegetable oil
¼ cup flour
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch strips
1 cup white potatoes (½ lb.), cubed
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup carrots (½ lb.), coarsely chopped
¼ cup celery, chopped
½ medium carrot, grated
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 stalks scallion, chopped
1 bay leaf
½ tsp. thyme
½ tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. hot pepper (jalapeño)
1 cup okra (½ lb.), sliced into ½-inch pieces
- Add oil to a large pot, over medium heat.
- Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until flour begins to turn golden brown.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring constantly with a whisk, and cook for 2 minutes. The mixture should not be lumpy.
- Add all ingredients except okra. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add okra, and let cook for 15 to 20 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve hot in a bowl or over rice.
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 51 mg
Sodium: 81 mg